Posts Tagged ‘blogging’
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
600 people reached the top of Mt. Everest in 2012. This blog got about 5,000 views in 2012. If every person who reached the top of Mt. Everest viewed this blog, it would have taken 8 years to get that many views.
Today will be my last post for 2011. The siblings are in town, and therefore I’m spending more time laughing my head off and less time reading and writing. Ok, that’s not the real reason, I’m just already in holiday mode…the brain is slowly shutting down…
2011 has been amazing in so many ways. Can’t say it’s been the best year yet, but it’s been great. I am thankful for all the awesome opportunities I’ve been given this year.
1. Bound – what an experience. That might be the only best acress award I ever get so gotta savour it.
2. Bravery…don’t think I wanna elaborate on there, but yes, worth it.
4. Moving back to Cape Town…although I miss Stellenbosch, I felt it was time for a change.
5. Writing – couple of short stories (which might never see the light of day), entering a music writing comp (didn’t win, but i entered…), and the new…uhm…writing exercise I mentioned last week
6. Friends – old, new, and langebaan adventures.
7. God; Love. Truth. Faithfulness.
So cheers to 2011. And here’s to 2012, and hoping the world doesn’t end, cos man, life is good! And the living is easy…
See you next year.
Ok, so my blogging schedule has been shot these last couple of weeks. It’s just been a really hectic time. And I’ve been doing some side work (acting – see tomorrow’s post) which takes me away from my pc and from my rss feeds and so haven’t been doing much reading as of late, which has messed up the reads of the week. And when I don’t read, I also can’t write, which has messed up the Tuesday posts.
I have a post lined up for tomorrow. There won’t be a Saturday post. Next week will go back to normal blogging schedule – hopefully – and then the following week I’m off to a week long holiday with the fam, so there will be no posts at all that week.
On second thought, I think I’ll take next week off as well. So, after tomorrow, there will be no new posts on this blog until July 5th.
Take a break. Go outside. Get away from the PC. See you next month
it is absolutely awesome getting recognised for doing a good job at something. you know when you put in the extra time and effort at work and you are rewarded with a raise or you are selected employee of the month or even just getting a special mention in the staff meeting – it gives you a feeling of achievement…like, it makes it kind of worthwhile.
but i’ve discovered an even better feeling – getting recognised for doing something you love. you know when you do something, not to impress anyone or because you want recognition or anything other the fact that you absolutely love it – that in itself is it’s own reward. like when you write a blog you are sure no one reads – a blog you really just write for yourself – it just kinda makes you happy. so when someone else does read it and says, “hey thanks for posting that” it’s like the cherry on the top.
the other day i got a shout out from my friend on twitter for my blogs. i write my blogs because i love writing. i love putting my thoughts out there into this crazy connection called the internet – not so that people can read them and think that i’m a great writer or anything like that…just cos i need to get them out of my head so that i don’t dwell on them too much – they tend to drive me crazy if i just dwell on them.
but once in a while someone will read what i wrote and connect with it or learn something from something it, and although that was not the intention of the writing – or at least not the primary intention – it feels kinda good to know i’m not alone. it feels kinda good when God uses me to speak to someone else. it feels kinda good when someone says “hey, i read something you wrote and thought it was good”.
i think it’s because when you do something for the love of doing it, that love comes through in that thing you do…and so other people respond to that love…
so big up to those people who do what they love…and for the rest, find what you love…do what you love and love what you do!
ok, end of 2010 just totally snuck up on me. and while this time of year is supposed to be all restful and merryful and great, it just feels too busy and hectic and stressful to me.
so in order to remedy that, i have decided to look back on 2010 and count my blessing.
1. friends – thanks for putting up with me. divas – thanks for not giving up on me…y’all have helped shape who i am today, and i am grateful.
2. my job/colleagues – with the recession and people losing jobs left and right and people coming and going, i must say it was a bit of a scary year. i wasn’t really sure where i would be at the end of this year, but God proved faithful and i’m still here. and my amazing colleagues have been…well, amazing, this year. having seen them walk through health problems and come out stronger on the other side, it’s been inspirational and a reminder of what a beautiful thing family is. so grateful to be working where i work, with the people i get to work with.
3. vision k – i have so much enjoyed another year of meeting with another group of amazing grade 10′s. this year’s group was so different from last years, which made things a bit weird at first, but once i got to know them i really fell in love with this group. while last years group was super outgoing with each one of them rearing to be the leader of the group, this year was full of people who were too shy to take the lead and too insecure to burst out in a broken-english-rant, but they were so cool on a one to one basis. and awesomely, i get to work with the same group next year (happiness). yep, i’m moving to the grade 11 group next year. should be amazing – building on already established relationships.
4. enGAGE – love you guys…so thankful for each and everyone of you who have been a part of my life this year. thank you for the coffees and the hang outs and the chats and the love and acceptance and so much more. thank you to every single one for being part of this community and just being there. wouldn’t have made it through this year without y’all.
5. worship team peeps – technically you fall under enGAGE, but kinda had a special thought to share for y’all. thank you for pushing me. thank you for making me sing louder even when i don’t want to. thank you for all the encouragement. thank you for helping me battle my insecurities and helping me use my passions for Christ. thank you for all the laughs. thank you for just being an awesome group of people.
6. live music – ok so Versus The Wolf…so much love for this band, check them out. And Irvine – stealing more of my heart with every show. And Gravity Wins Again – who went into hiding for most of this year but are back again. And John Ellis – LE-GEN-DA-RY! And my new-found love for afrikaans bands. and so many other cool bands/gigs i went to this year. I don’t think I went to see any international bands this year, just local ones (oh wait, there was feeder, but i didn’t go to see them. i went to a music festival they just happened to be playing at). so it has been yet another very fulfilling musical year. i love watching live music, it makes my heart happy. and i hope there will be more show watching next year.
7. blogging – i enjoy blogging. i enjoy putting my thoughts out there for random strangers to critique. i especially love when random strangers become a community and help me in discovering who i am and helping me in this life-journey. thank you readers. thanks to the commentors – for the words of encouragement and the challenging ones too. and the lurkers. oh, and lurkers, please comment in 2011. thanks you also to anyone who has ever appeared on my reads of the week list…and to those who haven’t. the blogs i read play a major role in the thoughts in my head, so thank you for helping me think through things and learn more about myself and life.
8. God – it has been a rough ride this year. lots of bumps in our relationship…seriously. but through it all you carried me. i am thankful beyond what words can explain.
wishes for 2011
1. more growth with God – let him use me more.
2. this has probably been the worst year for me healthwise. my body really took a beating. not sure why, but i hope 2011 will be different. i hope i will enjoy health more.